Home | Bodhgaya Attractions | Vishnupad Temple
Located in the central part of the old town, this massive temple is believed to have been built over the footprints of Lord Vishnu. Inside the temple, the 40 cm long `footprint' of Vishnu is embossed in solid rock and encircled by a silver plated basin. This Shikhara style temple was built in 1787, by Queen Ahilya Bai of Indore, on the banks of the river Falgu. Non-Hindus are not allowed to enter the temple.
Situated on the banks of the Phalgu River, Gaya, Vishnupada Temple has numerous small shrines and images. The Nrisimha Temple, a small temple dedicated to Nrisimha, the man-lion personification of Lord Vishnu has a wonderfully carved doorframe. Another temple of Vishnu adjoining the Nrisimha Temple on the north side has stone pillars and brick built walls. On the eastern side of the square also there is a small temple dedicated to Siva or Mahadeva in the form of Phalgwisvara or Lord of the Phalgu (river). A number of messages have had been earlier found in and around the premises of the Vishnupada Temple which are of great significance epigraphically.